Flowers have long played a role in Easter and Passover observances and are synonymous with the holidays in both home decorations and as gifts. Let City Line Florist take care of all of your holiday floral gifts for Easter or Passover.
Lilies are popular symbols of Easter as they represent love and hope. White lilies are especially symbolic during Easter as they signify purity and divinity. Daisies, azaleas, daffodils, chrysanthemums, hyacinths and tulips are also popular Easter flowers.
Celebrate Easter on Sunday, April 5, with a traditional Easter lily plant, or with a beautiful bouquet of fresh seasonal flowers from City Line Florist.
Did you know?
- Egg dyes for Easter were once made out of flower petals. Other natural items like tree bark, onion peels and juices were also used to color eggs.
- The first story of a rabbit (later named the “Easter Bunny”) hiding eggs in a garden was published in 1680.
- Easter takes place on a Sunday, after the 40-day period called Lent. Lent is referred to as a time of fasting, but most participants focus more on giving up one significant indulgence.
- Holy Week is celebrated during the week leading up to Easter. It begins on Palm Sunday, continues on to Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and then finally, Easter Sunday.
- The 137th annual “White House Easter Egg Roll” is scheduled for Monday, April 6. The event has been celebrated by the Presidents of the United States and their families since 1878.
Passover, or Pesach, is one of the most commonly observed Jewish holidays. It begins annually on the 15th day of the Jewish month of Nissan. This year it begins at sundown on Friday, April 3, and lasts through Saturday, April 11.
Passover is a celebration of the Israelites’ being freed from slavery in Egypt. It is also observed as a celebration of spring, of birth, and of rebirth, and of taking responsibility for yourself, the community, and the world. The first night of Passover includes a special ritual dinner called Seder.
“This day must serve as a memorial for you, and you must celebrate it as a festival to Jehovah.”—EXODUS 12:14
Flowers make wonderful gifts for Passover. Traditional spring-blooming flowers are used to celebrate the holiday. Sunflowers, Gerbera daisies, roses, lilies, irises and tulips are all excellent choices for this holiday season. City Line Florist offers a nice assortment of centerpieces and fresh floral designs for this special celebration.