Although Sweetest Day was established as a day to give candy to the down-and-out, it has evolved to be a day set aside to promote acts of kindness for those who may need cheering up. Telling someone “you’re the sweetest” with flowers, candy, or gifts is a wonderful to let them know you support them. City Line Florist helps you to take every opportunity to express love and friendship to those you care about – so who in your life would love some flowers on October 21?
Shown Above: Soft & Sweet Roses
Shown Below: Beary Bouquet
Fun Facts about Sweetest Day
* The first Sweetest Day was observed in 1916 in Cleveland, making it just over 100 years old.
* The observance began as a day to hand out chocolates to orphans and other needy citizens.
* Local candy companies sponsored the event and handed out 26,000 boxes of chocolate, but were widely
criticized for caring more about their bottom line than people.
* The day is more well known in the Northeast & the Midwest than in other parts of the country.
* While chocolates are still given, many give flowers, handwritten notes, or perform acts of kindness.
As flowers have been proven to make us happier, they are a natural choice for Sweetest Day gifts. We love the cheerful ambiance of gerbera daisies, roses, lilies and hydrangea. You may still choose to give the traditional chocolate, of course – as well as any other gift from our collections that will life their spirits!
City Line Florist specializes in helping to make others happy – whether it be Sweetest Day, or this year’s Petal it Forward event. You can rely on us to help you to choose the very best flowers and gifts in Trumbull – with the smiles to back them up!